Monday, February 14, 2011

My special valentine

Here we are at Valentine’s Day again - and yet again, I find myself without a valentine. But this year I have decided to do something different for Valentine’s Day. This year I am dedicating myself to falling in love - with my country.
Old Glory is the symbol of love to me today, and in everything I do my thoughts turn to freedom. At noon while driving my car from here to there, I was listening to my favorite country music station, as I do daily. While I was listening the DJ played the most beautiful love song; which brought tears to my eyes; The Star Spangled Banner, our great national anthem.
 
Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming? Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming? And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there. O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
 
There are many days throughout the year dedicated to the greatness of the United States of America, and the troops who serve her; Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day... but today I dedicate Valentine’s Day to my homeland; to the greatest country ever founded on the principles of freedom. As I would with a blessed spouse or partner, whom I would vow to love for better or worse, until death do we part - I vow today to love my country for better or worse, until death severs my tie. And I vow to do whatever it takes to keep my country healthy and free.
 
Though I may have no one to snuggle up with tonight as I lay down my head, other than my trusty Smith & Wesson, I will fall asleep in the embrace of freedom, knowing that I can have no greater love than my son, G-d, and country.

No comments:

Post a Comment